And what would Thanksgiving be without stuffing…yummy delicious stuffing.
What you need:
- 1 lb of sage sausage
- 4 Tbsp. butter, divided
- 4 shallots, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 1 apple, peeled, cored and diced
- 1 cup portabello mushrooms, diced
- Wine (DRINK!)
- 2 Tbsp. fresh thyme
- 3 Tbsp. fresh sage, minced
- ¼ cup dry white wine (…to cook with this time)
- 1 loaf whole wheat sourdough bread, stale and diced into 1 inch cubes
- 3 Cups chicken broth
- salt and pepper to taste
What to do with all that stuff (a.k.a directions):
- In a large skillet over medium heat, cook sausage until no longer pink; about 10 minutes. Drain fat and set aside.
- In the same skillet melt 1 tablespoon of butter. Add shallots, garlic, celery, apple and mushrooms and sauté until tender. Sprinkle with thyme and sage.
- Pour white wine over vegetables and de-glaze the pan. Sauté for another 2 minutes to cook off the alcohol.
- In a large bowl, combine sausage, vegetable mixture, 2 tablespoons of butter, and bread. Pour chicken broth over stuffing, stirring well to evenly coat the bread pieces. You want the bread to be moist but not soggy.
- Place stuffing in a 9×13 inch casserole dish and cover with foil. Bake for 20 minutes and remove foil.
- Dot the top with remaining 1 tablespoon of butter and bake uncovered for an additional 10 minutes until the top has browned.
- Serve immediately.
Enjoy – Bellini!